THE LATEST ZONING PROPOSAL ACCOMPLISHES THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT GOALS:
1. Maintains and enhances the current Maritime zone by applying it to six contiguous lots that encompass our working waterfront.
2. Promotes responsible development by applying the balanced, limited commercial zone to the remaining parcels.
3. Allows the opportunity for the significant deferred maintenance to existing buildings and infrastructure to be addressed in a meaningful way.
Advantages of this approach:
1. Consistent with both the wording and spirit of the comprehensive plan – no amendments needed.
2. Initial legal review is positive
Zone boundaries based on 30 years of history.
Incentives and protections for working waterfront match comp plan intent.
Boothbay Register letters to the Editor:
Here are some links to editorial letters about the zoning: